Laminate floor cutter is a cutting tool designed to cut laminate flooring. If you happen to have a laminate cutting job to do, let’s dive in and we’ll help you find the best laminate floor cutter that cuts laminate quickly and easily for you.
Installing laminate flooring in your home won’t be a hassle if you have the right laminate floor cutter with you. But, the options are endless, and it’s difficult to choose. That’s why we’re here to give you all the details and help you cut laminate flooring to perfection!Related
Best Laminate Floor Cutter 2020 Comparison
|Image||Laminate Floor Cutter||Angle Cutting||Max Cutting Capacity|
|SKIL 3601-02 Flooring Saw||Yes||3/4 inch thick|
15 inches wide
|Exchange-a-Blade 2100005||Yes||1/2 inch thick|
9 inches wide
|Bullet Tools 9 inch EZ Shear Sharpshooter||Yes||5/8 inch thick|
9 inches wide
|Bullet Tools 13-inch MAGNUM||Yes||1 inch thick|
13 inches wide
|Roberts 10-64 13-Inch Pro Flooring Cutter||Yes||5/8 inch thick|
13 inches wide
|ROBERTS 10-35 Laminate Cutter||Yes||3/8 inch thick|
8 inches wide
|Norske Tools NMAP001||Yes||19/32 inch thick|
13 inches wide
Tools you need to cut a laminate floor plank
Okay, now we can cover the basic process of laminate floor cutting. Besides a proper laminate floor cutter there are additional tools that you’ll need in order to complete this cutting process successfully. Here are some tools you’ll certainly want to have so that you can proudly say afterwards that you’ve installed the flooring like a professional:
- Tape measure – It’s all about the right measures, so it’s essential to have a tape measure with you during the whole process.
- Marking pencil or chalk – Another helpful and necessary tool, as it’s extremely important to mark those cutting lines precisely.
- Laminate Floor Cutter – Well, this one is pretty obvious, as you can’t really complete the job without it. In comparison to a saw, the cutter is way better to use as it chops the laminate using a tough blade and a long handle meant to exert downward force. There will be no dust and little to no noise, depending on the model. There are base models that are very cheap and there are the professional models, too. Therefore, depending on the specific requirements of each project, there’s a great number of models to choose from.
Why do you need a specialized cutter for laminate flooring?
Since laminate is a human-made material, most other blades simply won’t do – you won’t be able to cut through the laminate with them without damaging or breaking them. So, a laminate floor cutter is the first thing you’ll need if you want perfect laminate flooring in your home – without the mess and the danger.
These cutters are entirely hassle-free and practically foolproof for all those who are trying to DIY their way to perfect flooring. Furthermore, they will give you the clean edges you need so that you can assemble the flooring. In addition to that, using a laminate floor cutter will result in less dust, which is always a plus in our book.
Laminate Floor Cutter vs Other Laminate Cutting Tools
Besides laminate floor cutters, there are also other tools you can use for laminate cutting. The most common cutting tool is a power saw, such as a chop saw, miter saw, jigsaw, circular saw, etc. Saws are the fastest and the most common method for the job, but they have some serious drawbacks, too.
First and foremost, power saws can be very expensive. Secondly, there will be lots of dust to clean up, and the operation will be extremely loud. Also, some of them are not that user-friendly.
On the other hand, specialty cutting tools such as laminate floor cutters are far smaller, portable, lighter, and consequently, easier to handle. In addition, they are specifically designed for laminate flooring. Hence, they will help you cut laminate flooring quickly, and usually, they won’t produce that much noise or dust!
The Cutter That Suits Your Project Needs: Choosing the Best Laminate Cutter
The crucial part in leading the project to the finishing point successfully is deciding which laminate floor cutting tool to use. Therefore, let me lay out a couple of things important to remember when making this decision.
You have to think about the cutting capacity
As presented earlier, there is a range of laminate cutter sizes available on the market, that can cut laminate floor from 7″ to 25″ wide and up to 1 inch thick. Knowing the type of project you will be doing makes it easy for you to figure out what size of a laminate floor cutter you’ll need.
If you have Natural Oak laminate flooring with 8 inches wide, 4 feet length and 7mm (or .27 inch) thickness, get at least the cutter with a cutting capacity of 3/8 inch (or 10mm) thick and 8 inches wide. So if the cutter has 8-inch blade length, it can cut 8-inch wide laminate.
There are those that are very cheap and that can be used for some small projects as they are compact and lightweight. Nevertheless, for some bigger and more complex projects there are also some professional models, which can be expensive, but are certainly worth the money.
Don’t underestimate the importance of the blade and the material
Apart from the size, it’s also essential to pay attention to the blade. When it comes to laminate flooring, the best ones out there are the high carbon steel blades. Also, it’s best to have easily replaceable blades, as that means that the cutter will last for a long time.
Additional features to think about
Some cutters have additional features that others might not have. For example, certain models of laminate floor cutters will come with an angled gauge for precise angled cut. However, usually, only the more expensive models will have this option.
You should also consider the warranty period. Remember – the longer the warranty period, the higher the price. Also, know that some of the models will come ready to use, while others may need to be assembled according to the instructions.
Don’t choose price over quality
Just like with almost every product on the market, the same rule seems to apply here: the higher the quality – the higher the price. Furthermore, you might need to consider the brand reputation as well. It might be better to stick to those brands that have been on the market for a long time and are more trustworthy. However, this usually entails a higher price as well.
Best Laminate Floor Cutter 2020 Review: Our Top 7 Choices
SKIL 3601-02 Flooring Saw – Best Professional Grade
The first one in line is the compact SKIL flooring saw model 3601-02 with 36T Contractor Blade. This particular product has the capabilities of a standard miter and table saw. Hence, it will make it possible for you to cut flooring right on the spot where you’re planning to install it. Its compact design makes it extremely lightweight for transport and use at any project location.
The SKIL 3601-02 flooring saw will facilitate cutting solid, engineered and laminate flooring without any difficulties. What makes it even better is its ability to make cross, miter and rip cuts. The flooring specialists agree that this portable and durable cutter will without any doubt make the floor installation process so much easier and faster for you.
- Extremely compact
- Easy to set up
- Great portability and mobility
- Minimum amount of dust left to clean up afterwards
- Affordable price
- Perfect for cutting a wide range of precise angles
- Great for cutting thinner boards
- Built with steel and aluminium
- High carbon steel blade for maximum results
- There’s a possibility of re-sharpening the blade
- Suitable for high-volume cutting of laminate, LVT, vinyl tiles, linoleum, rubber etc.
- Adjustable protractor/guide swings from 0 to 45 degrees.
- Unsuitable for cutting wide boards
- Blades might get dull quickly
- Extra blades purchase will be necessary (additional cost)
- Electrical cord that goes with it might cause a mess in workspace
- Time-consuming when switching from ripping to crosscutting and vice versa
- Limited to making perpendicular cuts only
- Certain laminate flooring might get chipped edges and get damaged when cut by this cutter
The SKIL 3601-02 Flooring Saw is a true innovation, as it is one of the first truly portable table and miter saws. It has numerous advantages that can make up for some disadvantages. If power tooling is your thing, then SKIL 3601-02 is perfect for you!
Exchange-a-Blade 2100005 – Editor’s Pick
The EAB 2100005 9-Inch laminate floor cutter is a great choice since it is designed for high-precision cutting. The precision cutting with 9-inch width capacity will save the flooring from splintering or splitting.
Furthermore, to make things even easier, this laminate wood cutter comes with a long handle that allows for a smooth cutting action because it provides excellent leverage. It also comes with an angle gauge for very precise and effortless angle cutting.
This product has a high-quality design, as it includes a high carbon steel blade and aluminum, so it grants you durability and longevity. Moreover, it is incredibly compact, so it will be easy for you to move it around and store it. It is an excellent choice for hassle- and dust-free operation, and it also comes with a replacement blade.
The EAB 2100005 9” cutting tool is our strong recommendation for homeowners due to its capability, versatility and affordable price. It will be perfect for those who are time-conscious and always on the move.
EAB Tool Exchange-a-Blade 2100005 Cutting Style: Guillotine-style
- Extremely high build quality
- Affordable price
- Compact design
- Long durability of the blade
- Suitable for cutting thinner laminate flooring
- Reduced amount of dust left to clean up
- Saves time as it allows cutting on the spot
- Not that easy to operate with, might require some strength
- The standard protractor guide not so stable or secure
- Will not perform every cut you may need to make in a complex job
The Exchange-a-Blade 2100005 cutter will not be a regrettable choice for those who prefer a dust-free working environment. However, this particular tool might be too difficult to handle, and it may require some muscle. If that’s not a problem, then consider getting it, as it has many other advantages.
Bullet Tools 9 inch EZ Shear Sharpshooter – Editor’s Pick
The Bullet Tools 9 inch EZ Shear Sharpshooter is a versatile cutter that provides a high-precision cutting for laminate flooring up to 9’’ wide and ⅝’’ thick. It grants you a dust-free cutting operation thanks to its functional design. Also, it will free you from the hassle of electrical cords and, as it is very quiet, you will be able to use it anytime without worrying about your neighbors.
This particular cutter is produced in the USA and it comes with a one-year warranty period. In addition, what makes this product an even better choice for you is the fact that it comes ready to use, there’s no assembly required at all! So, if you’re looking for a laminate cutter, the 9 inch SharpShooter might just be the perfect fit for you as it cuts laminate flooring up to 12mm (5/8 inch) with attached underlayment.
When compared to some other models from the same brand, such as the 13″ Bullet Tools Laminate Flooring Cutter it appears to be lighter, as it weighs 17.2 pounds, and its dimensions are a bit smaller. The 13” laminate floor cutter can be used for products up to 13” wide and ⅝” thick. There’s an even larger model – the 20″ Bullet Tools Siding Cutter, that weighs around 33.6 pounds and that can be used for cutting products up to 20” wide and 1” thick. Finally, there’s another 20” inch Bullet Tools EZ Shear Laminate Flooring Cutter that is designed to cut through products up to 20” wide and ⅝” thick.
- No power cords or electricity needed
- Keeps the workspace neat and as clean as possible
- Provides dust-free operation
- Time-saving as it allows cutting on the spot
- Compact and light
- Extremely quiet operation
- Sharp blade
- Long durability
- Wooden base is prone to chipping off and damage
- Not so affordable when compared to other models on the market
- Not easy to cut at 45-degree angle
The Bullet Tools 9’’ EZ Shear Sharpshooter is a mid-priced option that will provide you with a quiet and mess-free operation. However, it is a bit pricey when compared to other similar models out there.
Bullet Tools 13-inch MAGNUM Laminate Flooring Cutter – Best Heavy-Duty Pro Cutter
Another great purchase from the Bullet Tools collection is its 13” Magnum Laminate Flooring Cutter. The Magnum laminate cutting tool is a heavy-duty cutter that you can use for cutting laminates up to 13” wide and 1” thick. When using this cutter, you won’t have to deal with electrical cords and dust, and you will have a clean work space.
This laminate wood cutter weighs 34 pounds and, as opposed to smaller Bullet Tools models, it doesn’t come ready to use. Nevertheless, the assembly is quite simple and won’t take you long. The price is also a bit higher but, considering its capacity, you’ll find that it is worth the money for sure. There’s a 5-year warranty period, so you can rest assured that this cutter will serve you well in the long run.
- Effortless assembly
- Time-saving as it allows to bring the tool to the job
- High build quality
- Long durability
- Excellent cutting capability
- Extremely powerful tool
- The blade is not as hard as it should be
- Reduced portability as the handle is not meant to fold down
- Quite pricey
If you’re going to buy the Bullet Tools 13-inch Magnum Floor Cutter, know that you will end up with a durable, powerful tool that will be a true time-saver. The only thing that might stand between you and this cutter is its high price. However, it sure is worth the money, so keep that in mind.
Roberts 10-94 13-Inch Pro Flooring Cutter – Best Midrange Cutter
The Roberts 10-94 13″ Pro Flooring Cutter is a guillotine-style cutting tool manufactured to cut clean and precise edges on all types of flooring materials. This cutter comes along with a large table that will stabilize those long planks. At the same time, its extendable handle will provide extra leverage for stronger cutting power.
The way this Pro Flooring Cutter works is that its cutting guide quickly swivels and locks in place for precise and accurate angle cuts, and since it is fully adjustable, it is easy to maintain perfectly square cuts. It has an extruded aluminum base with a thick plastic surface for stability. It can be used to cut through up to 13” wide and ⅝” thick materials. The 13” blade is replaceable and can be re-sharpened.
There’s also the Roberts 25″ Pro Flooring Cutter that may be more suitable for you if you need a bigger size capacity cutting tool. It weighs 47 pounds, and it is meant for cutting up to to 25” wide and ½” thick materials. It contains built-in heavy-duty wheels for easier transport.
This model might be classified as a semi-professional cutter as it is ideal for homeowners and it can be used for some paid jobs, too. It is priced accordingly and it offers an excellent product quality to match the price.
- Capable of cutting various flooring material types
- Capable of cutting very wide boards and planks (up to 13″ in width)
- Offers the possibility of cutting a variety of precise and accurate angles
- Offers adjustable leverage thanks to the adjustable handle
- Light-weight construction
- Great for homeowner use
- It has a 13” cutting range
- The base and body are built with the heavy-gauge extruded aluminum and will last long
- Offers each plank great support during cutting thanks to its tough plastic platform
- Not quite suitable for professional use
- Limited portability due to its heavier weight
- There’s a risk of chipping the laminate surface and damaging it
- Not that easy to assemble, more time-consuming
- Limited to making cross cuts only
- The replacement blades are quite costly
- Overuse of the handle extension, especially attempting to cut thicker and/or harder materials (such as ceramic or stone tile) than recommended, might cause stress cracking
The Roberts 10-64 13-Inch Pro Flooring Cutter is an extremely powerful cutter. It has some great features, but it also has some drawbacks that might result in some limitations during the project. It’s not great for professional use, but it can come in handy to those who require it for their own needs.
Roberts 10-35 Laminate Cutter – Best Budget Cutter
The Roberts 10-35 Laminate Floor Cutter is an extremely compact and light flooring cutter. It weighs only 12 pounds and it is, thus far, the smallest one according to its dimensions – 10.2 x 27.6 x 5.8 inches. This cutting tool can easily cut laminate up to 8″ wide and 0.47″ thick. The QEP 10-35 cutter provides manual and dust-free cutting that can speed up the installation.
The Roberts cutting tool is designed with a heavy steel frame, in order to maintain maximum stability while cutting. Also, it includes Positionable-Inch V-Inch support which keeps planks level while cutting. With this tool, what you’ll get is a cutter that’s easy out of the box. It just requires a quick put-together and you are ready to go.
All in all, the Roberts 10-35 Laminate Floor Cutter is perfect for those that have a small project on their hands and don’t want to spend a lot of money on cutter. This cutter is budget-friendly and great for homeowners.
- Extremely cheap and budget-friendly
- Very compact and lightweight
- Great pick for thinner materials
- Leaves almost no mess or dust to clean up
- Great for cutting parts against the wall ends
- The tubular steel frame is very sturdy as the unit weighs 12lbs
- The “comfort grip” handle provides adequate cushioning
- Not so easy to use as it does require somewhat more strength
- Can’t absolutely guarantee clean edges; it crushes and tears softer materials, so isn’t designed for vinyl, LVT, linoleum and similar flooring
- The blade is not that sharp
- Makes cross cuts only
- It can be difficult to properly position the stand when cutting planks over 5″ long as there is no built-in platform. However, the cutter comes along with a loose, inverted V-shaped stand that can be set at a distance from the unit to provide support.
The QEP 10-35 Laminate Cutter is the cheapest choice out there. It is incredibly light to carry, but it requires some strength to operate. It might seem somewhat limited when compared to previously mentioned cutters, but then again, this cutter is very affordable, and for some small projects, it will be excellent.
Norske Tools NMAP001 – Best Multipurpose Cutter
Last, but certainly not least is the Norske Tools NMAP001 laminate wood and siding cutter. If you plan on cutting aside from laminate flooring, then this cutter will suit your needs best.
This multipurpose cutter is very sturdy, yet given its weight about 13 pounds makes various cuts possible thanks to its high speed steel blade. It can cut HardiePlank, Cemplank, engineered wood, laminate flooring and Vinyl siding.
The extended handle makes it even easier to cut materials. You can adjust the cutting angle from 0˚ to 45˚ through its miter gauge.
The Norske Tools NMAP001 is made with high-quality steel and aluminum so you can ensure a great quality behind it. This cutting tool comes with a great price tag. It is very easy to assemble and light-weight. For those who are looking for a multipurpose cutter, the Norske Tools NMAP001 might just be the perfect choice!
- Cuts various materials
- Comes with a great price point
- Affordable blade parts
- Easy to assemble
- Not that heavy
- Offers great portability
- Reduces the amount of mess left to clean up after installation
- The cuts can be slightly rough and not as clean as with other cutters
The Norske Tools NMAP001 cutter is great for cutting various materials. It is an excellent purchase since it comes with numerous advantages and for a multipurpose cutter, it has a good price range, too!
Cutting and installing laminate flooring on your own
Some of you may not want to hire a laminate floor installers and try to install it on your own. It’s not a bad idea. After all, installing laminate flooring is a skill that everybody can learn. The video below explains how to install a laminate floor on your own.
Pro tip: After installing your laminate flooring, time to clean it up. For best results, use the right cleaner for your laminates.
Your next move…
Laminate floor cutters are handy, durable and worth the money, especially if you would rather do a DIY project in your house. However, it can be somewhat tricky to choose one – after all, you don’t want your investment to be in vain!
All of the cutters on our list have their pros and cons, so it’s up to you to make the final decision. Nevertheless, remember to choose quality and precision over price – only then will your flooring be as perfect as you want it to be!
Image credit: Skiltools